I’m reading Bob Goff’s latest book, “Everybody, Always,” and I’m shaken.
Here are a couple of quotes:
We don’t need to call everything we do “ministry.” Just call it Tuesday. That’s what people who are becoming love do.
Quit waiting for a plan; just go love everybody.
The question I keep on coming to is, “how?” And I thought, wouldn’t it be neat if there was a website or app to help me connect with opportunities to serve locally?
Does it already exist?
It is possible that what I’m going for already exists.
Is my idea different?
I’m not interested in building the “Christian version” of something that works, but I wonder if those work best.
My idea is to match people (or families) with the best fit for them, and I think that differentiates what I’m thinking from the others.
I’d really like to have more of a volunteer concierge.
Here are some of the key things that I’m thinking about:
- Only post dated opportunities – even if something happens every week, I want people to be able to see it on a calendar.
- Have tags on each opportunity (families welcome, groups welcome, category, age groups, physical demands, etc)
- Have tags on each volunteer (wants to volunteer with family, able to lift heavy objects, enjoys working with kids, good with computers, etc)
- Sort opportunities by best match first
- Send volunteers a weekly email, highlighting the best opportunities to serve that week
- Push notification if a volunteer hasn’t served in a while
- Ability for the volunteer to complete post serving questionnaire (rating of activity and comments, how many total hours served by number of people)
- Ability for the organization to complete post serving questionnaire (rating of volunteer and comments)
- Ability for the organization to use this service exclusively for scheduling volunteers (should they choose to do so) – for example, provide the organization with tools to embed the form on their website
- Ability for local churches to use this service on their websites
Here are some other goals:
- Empower local champions (individuals) to enlist organizations and volunteers for their area. Gamify this a bit.
- Empower local churches to enlist organizations and volunteers for their area.